Monday, March 14, 2011

So much information...

Happy new week everyone. : )

It was a really full on day today. Spent the morning looking at movie clips analyzing layout and composition (very cool). Saw some amazing scenes from some epic films. There is just so much to think about in these things tho. We take a massive amount for granted when we watch a film. 

Then, the afternoon was awesome because Mr. John Ewing came in - who was the co-founder of our school and was trained in animation at Disney by one of the nine old men in the 50's and 60's. He is so knowledgeable, and his experience is huge - and yet despite all that he is very gracious and humble. So he spent I think just over an hour and a half answering our questions and sharing stories of working at Disney on films such as The Sword in the Stone, The Jungle Book, 101 Dalmatians etc. 

Last year he came into our class too and had a look at some of my work. He is now writing and illustrating children's books - which is what I have a particular interest in too - so he gave me a heap of advice on my drawings. 

Well, now that I have finished my book - my tutor from last year said that I should get him to look at the drawings so he can give me some feedback. So, hopefully tomorrow, he is going to look at my work and give me some advice. I am really nervous, especially because I know that there is HEAPS wrong with my drawings, and also he is just so hugely experienced and worked with these amazing people. However - I am not going to pass up the opportunity to get some feedback from such a man just coz I'm nervous!!! This is his website for those who may be interested: http://www.johnwewing.com/index.html



I thought it would be a bit yawn to not put up a picture - so here are a couple of quick mermaid sketches - even though one in particular is really messy and unfinished. And hey everyone, I very much welcome critique and feedback so please, please feel free to offer advice. : ) One of these days I'll get the chance to put up some more finished colourful pretty work (hopefully). : )

2 comments:

  1. WHAT! That is so not fair! A classic Disney animator as a teacher??!?! You'll be a pro in no time!
    Cool sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty privileged huh!? Amazing too considering we are all the way over here in NZ. Mr. Ewing gave me some feedback today and was SOOOO encouraging! Needless to say I was a happy chappy.

    Thanks Erik : )

    ReplyDelete