Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Learning from the Best #1 - Carter Goodrich

I was looking through my art books tonight, and had a browse through my 'Art of Ratatouille' (took me a few goes to get the spelling right on that one) book - and came across a brilliant pencil drawing by Carter Goodrich. So I thought I'd give it a go doing a copy. 

I figure that one of the best ways to learn how someone does something - short of being shown by the person themselves - is to try to figure it out yourself. So I thought that I would start a little series for myself I have entitled 'Learning from the Best'. Thought that I'd pick some of my favourite artists - do a version of one of their drawings (I hope they don't mind), and put some info up here about them and why I think they are great!

So here goes:
Carter Goodrich

I have a massive admiration for artists who are illustrators, and yet have been able to successfully apply their artwork to animated film. To me, that would be amazingly cool. Carter Goodrich is one of these very clever people. Below is my humble copy of a concept drawing that he did of the character Emile from Ratatouille.


His film credits include:
Prince of Egypt
Finding Nemo
Monsters Inc.
Shrek
Spirit
Sinbad
Open Season
Despicable Me
Ratatouille

He has also illustrated children's books (woot!). I love the shapes that he uses in his art - and the softness of the colours and textures that he achieves. 
His art is worth checking out!

Thanks for being amazing Carter Goodrich!

1 comment:

  1. The expressions in your drawings are great, brings the characters to life, totally awesome

    ReplyDelete